12.24.2009

Baby Jelani

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

Last night I had the remarkable and overwhelming honor to meet little Jelani Dante Brinson, Jr.I say overwhelming, because that's exactly what it was. When I held that little boy in my arms for the very first time and looked at his perfect little face and kissed his puffy little cheeks, I became completely overwhelmed. I lost it. I wept. I could hold the tears back. I was holding the last piece of Jelani that he left us. A remnant.

For those of you who do not know (since I never really did share the story here on the blog), Jelani was a dear, dear friend of ours who went missing back in April. A week later, his body was found in an Anoka pond. He was 24 and the loving father of his beautiful daughter, Zion. You can read about it here.

But before he was found -- just four days after he went missing -- his girlfriend found out she was expecting their second child. Jelani never even knew he had a son on the way.

Jelani Jr, or just JJ, was born this past weekend at a whopping 9 lbs, 8 oz. He's perfect. He's so beautiful. He looks like his daddy. I have no idea what God has in store for Zion or JJ's lives, but I know that they will be loved and supported by all of us their whole lives.

No comments: